Here The Tank Museum’s Curator David Willey discusses the Soviet T-62, including its development and service life. Introduced in 1962, it was a further evolution of the T-55 series, which David discussed in Tank Chat #104.
Captains, welcome to the Public Test of Update 0.9.10!
The “U.S. Battleships: Part 2” event, a new collection, and Key Battles. Take a look through the Developer Bulletin, and welcome to the test.
Round 1 Schedule
Starts: Thu. 08 Oct. 18:30 CEST (UTC+2) / your local time: Thu. 08 Oct. 17:30Ends: Tue. 13 Oct. 07:30 CEST (UTC+2) / your local time: Tue. 13 Oct. 06:30
Special Features of the Test
The rewards for activities on the Public Test server may differ from those on the live server. The new U.S. battleships are not available to research on the Public Test server.
The first ship for Key Battles will immediately be available in the Port with her stock modules. New modules and ships can be obtained by completing combat missions. A description of the combat missions is available in the game client.
Combat Missions and Rewards
|Play a Random or Co-op Battle.
Reward on the live server: 3x signals of each type, except for special signals
|Play three Random or Co-op Battles.
Reward on the live server: 10x Type 6 camouflage patterns
|Complete the “Always Courageous!” collection.
Reward on the live server: 1x Wargaming container
|Complete the Halloween chain of combat missions.
Reward on the live server: 5x each of the following special signals—Dragon, Wyvern, Red Dragon, Ouroboros, and Hydra
|Deal 1,000,000 damage in a Key Battle after completing the Halloween chain of combat missions.
Reward on the live server: 3x each of the following special signals—Scylla, Basilisk, and Leviathan
One Wargaming container provides 1 day of Warships Premium Account.
- Every participant of the Public Test will have all researchable Tier VIII ships, helmed by Commanders with 15 skill points, credited to their PT accounts.
- The research prices for ships and ship modules will be substantially discounted.
- Players will be able to reset Commander skills free of charge.
If you’re joining the Public Test for the first time since Update 0.9.9, you’ll be awarded the following additional bonuses:
- 500,000,000 credits; 30,000 doubloons; and 90 days of Premium Account.
- 50 signal flags of all types (except special signals) will also be added to your PT account.
How to Enter
All information on how to join the Public Test and obtain its rewards is available on a dedicated page of the official website.
Today the latest ban lists are out for the four main regions.
World of Tanks has always been open to modifications and customizations, as long as they are in line with our Fair Play Policy. But we keep out unwanted, cheating, and harmful software that manipulates gameplay and provides unfair advantages. We want to make it clear once again that we have zero tolerance for cheating! Ensuring Fair Play will always be among our top priorities, and we’ll do our best to keep the gaming environment as fair as possible.
- On SEA server: Penalized 157 accounts. 107 of these accounts have received their first warning, and 50 have been banned permanently.
- On RU server: Penalized 35 210 accounts. 21 962 of these accounts have received their first warning, and 13 248 have been banned permanently.
- On EU server: Penalized 1508 accounts. 993 of these accounts have received their first warning, and 515 have been banned permanently.
- On NA server: Penalized 187 accounts: 120 of these received their first warning, and 67 were banned permanently.
Some of you may have encountered the problem of a short-term FPS drop when an enemy ship is detected. We have prepared a fix to resolve this issue.
If you don’t experience the described problems, you do not need to install this correction.
If you want to apply this fix now, you should follow this step-by-step guide:
1. Close the game.
2. Download the archive Install_patch_for_0.9.9.0.zip
3. Unzip the archive (the «Install_patch_for_0.9.9.0» folder) to your WoWs game root folder (the one containing /bin /profile /screenshot and other subfolders).
4. Go to the unzipped «Install_patch_for_0.9.9.0» folder.
5. Launch the file «apply-patch.bat»
6. Apply changes by typing the number «1» to the window that appears, and press «Enter».
7. Launch the game as usual.
If this fix doesn’t help, please, post to the forum in the corresponding topic or reach out to Customer Support.
If you come across any new issues that appear after you apply this fix, you can roll back changes by launching «apply-patсh.bat» again, choosing option «2», pressing «Enter» and then relaunching the game client.
Director of The Tank Museum, Richard Smith, who has “the best job in the world”, shares his choice of what he considers to be the worst 5 tanks at the Museum. See his Top 5 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YdsG…
The second Common Test of Update 1.10.1 is now available. Make sure to check out the upcoming changes and new features that are planned for the next patch.
Battle Communication Tweaks
We’re also reviewing your feedback on the revamped in-battle communication system. We’ve already detected several areas for improvement and adjusted a number of aspects of this feature. Join the Common Test to experience the following tweaks for the in-battle communication system:
- Players in destroyed allied vehicles won’t be able to use in-battle communication for all types of battles, except for team battles (Clan Wars, tournaments, Stronghold, etc.).
- A special setting to disable markers on the map has been added. When disabled, the markers for “attention to”, “going to”, “firing at” (SPGs), and “pre-battle markers” are not displayed. They are still displayed on the minimap and remain interactive.
- The size of markers on the minimap has been reduced.
- The height of markers on the map has been increased several times to make them more noticeable at long distances, behind buildings, and among vehicles.
We will continue to make adjustments, fix issues, and change things based on your feedback. So, give them a try, test the new features and continue to let us know what you think in the forum.
New to testing? Check out our handy guide to public tests.
Eligibility: The cut-off was made on September 15, so all players registered prior to 22:59 CEST on September 14 can participate in the test.
Feedback: Please post your bug reports and general feedback on the test version in the special thread on our forum.
In order to participate in the test using the Wargaming.net Game Center, use this link.
- The Wargaming.net Game Center will download all the additional data
- Start playing
Patch Notes CT 2
Changes to the Battle Communication System
- Players in destroyed allied vehicles won’t be able to use in-battle communication for all types of battles, except for clan battles (Clan Wars, tournaments, Stronghold, etc.).
- A special setting to disable markers on the map was added. When disabled, the markers for “attention to”, “going to”, “firing at” (SPGs), and “pre-battle markers” are not displayed. They are still displayed on the minimap and remain interactive.
- The size of markers on the minimap was reduced.
- The height of markers on the map was increased to make them more noticeable at long distances, behind buildings, and among vehicles.
For the Walküre and Varyag vehicles, the aiming time has been improved and the dispersion during movement and on hull and turret traverse has been decreased for all guns.
The DPM values for the guns of the Harbinger vehicle, which are selected at Tiers IV and VII, have been slightly increased.
Changes to Technical Characteristics
The Progetto C45 mod. 71 was added for testing by Supertest players.
- Changed the penetration values of the 122 mm 371-122JTX gun from 175/250/61 to 190/250/61 mm
- Decreased dispersion during movement of the T-34-2 suspension by 9%
- Decreased dispersion during movement of the T-34-2 model 2 suspension by 10%
- Decreased dispersion on hull traverse of the T-34-2 suspension by 9%
- Decreased dispersion on hull traverse of the T-34-2 model 2 suspension by 10%
The Vertical Stabilizer and its analogs can now be mounted on the Crusader, Covenanter, and A-20.
- Fixed the issue of permanent waiting for the transition to Steel Hunter mode after changing a preset style.
- Fixed the issue related to the lack of informing players about a newcomer’s status and about the availability of purchasing the Improved Pass or its Stages.
- Fixed the issue when players without Tier VI–X vehicles who completed the Main Progression of Battle Pass were considered newcomers when completing Stages 1–10 of the Elite Progression.
- Fixed the issue when the WAITING FOR SELECTING status in the Battle Pass progression window shifted to an earlier stage.
- Fixed the issue when the transition to the purchase of the Improved Pass was available to newcomer-players.
- Fixed the issue when two large bundles (instead of four bundles) were displayed in the reward windows at Stage 40 of Battle Pass.
- Fixed the issue when some texts of rewards on the reward screen of Battle Pass were not displayed.
- Fixed the issue when the Exterior screen did not open when going there from the Notification Center.
- Fixed the issue of missing sound in the video when selecting a reward.
- Fixed the issue when incorrect emblem icons were displayed on the reward screen for Stages 1–10 of Battle Pass.
- Fixed the issue when the status of the WAITING FOR SELECTING button did not change after selecting an equipment item within Battle Pass.
- Fixed the issue when the intro video of Battle Pass Season 3 was not displayed to some players.
- Fixed some technical issues.
Soon, Italian heavy tanks will give their debut on the battlefield in the World of Tanks Supertest!
These vehicles will feature a unique auto-reloading system. Check out our latest developer diary, where the developers share all the details about the upcoming branch and the new mechanic.
We’d love to know your opinion of the new tanks. So, please share your feedback in the forum or below the video.
Captains! Due to the installation of the Update, the server will be unavailable:
From: Thu. 01 Oct. 07:00 CEST (UTC+2) / your local time: Thu. 01 Oct. 06:00Until: Thu. 01 Oct. 10:00 CEST (UTC+2) / your local time: Thu. 01 Oct. 09:00Update size: 5 GB
U.S. Battleships: Part 1
American battleships VIII Kansas and IX Minnesota have arrived in Early Access!
VIII Kansas can be obtained by completing all the Directives, while IX Minnesota can be obtained from random bundles that are available in the Armory in exchange for doubloons.
American Tokens: a new temporary resource that can be earned by progressing through Directives of the event and by completing special chains of combat missions. They will also be available for Recruitment Points in the Armory, and via random bundles that will be available in exchange for doubloons.
Rewards available in exchange for American Tokens: sequentially available bundles and other rewards that can be found in the Armory.
Rewards from the sequentially available bundles: signals; expendable camouflages; Gold Eagle permanent camouflages for VIII Kansas, IX Minnesota, and X Vermont; VII Florida with a Gold Eagle permanent camouflage and commemorative flag; days of Premium Account; and Coal.
Features of the New Branch
- Numerous main battery guns with a solid salvo weight and firing range, which come at the expense of longer gun reloading times.
- Great maneuverability for the ship type and good anti-torpedo protection, but they are rather slow.
- Decent AA defenses, additionally reinforced by access to the Defensive AA Fire consumable.
When Update 0.9.11 goes live, VIII Kansas, IX Minnesota, and X Vermont will be available for all players to research.
The Dockyard and “Strong-Willed” Campaign
Any remaining Dockyard Directives will be available for completion until October 26. Complete all the shipbuilding phases in time to get a brand-new U.S. cruiser—VIII Anchorage!
Update 0.9.9 brings an end to the “Strong-Willed” temporary Campaign, which kicked off with the release of Update 0.9.3. Hurry to obtain the unique historical Commander, Jerzy Świrski, and other rewards!
End date and time: Sat. 10 Oct. 08:00 CEST (UTC+2) / your local time: Sat. 10 Oct. 07:00
Clan Battles: “Northern Waters” Season
Format: 7 vs. 7 playing Tier X ships
Restrictions: up to two battleships, or one battleship and one aircraft carrier per team
Rewards: up to 11,000 Steel and many other rewards
Maps: Islands of Ice, Sleeping Giant, Warrior’s Path, North, Greece, and Northern Waters, in Domination mode
Season features: in the new Season, all maps may feature a cyclone
- The cyclone settles over the sea at the very start of a battle. Players should choose the most appropriate tactics in response to the conditions.
- Cyclones reduce the viewing radius of aircraft to 8 km.
- At the fourth minute of a battle, the viewing radius of ships starts to shrink, too. After 30 seconds, it gets reduced to 14 km.
- After 15 and a half minutes of battle, the cyclone will start to fade away. Its effects will vanish completely after a further 30 seconds.
Essentially, the cyclone is designed to reduce the reconnaissance potential of aircraft carriers in Clan Battles. The option to add a maximum of two battleships or replace one of them with one carrier will make team lineups and battle tactics in the upcoming Season more diverse. For example, it’s possible that destroyers might prove to be a popular choice.
Full details of the Season will be released in a dedicated article.
Division Commanders now have the option to invite “mercenaries,” i.e. players from outside their Clan or from other Clans, to join their Divisions for Clan Battles.
The new feature will allow Clan leaders to test candidates who want to join their Clans in real combat scenarios, or fill roster gaps without having to actually accept new players into the Clan.
- To add a mercenary to the team, simply invite them to join your Division. You can search for players via the “Divisions” tab in the game client.
- After a battle, the mercenary receives rewards based on the current league of the Clan they went into battle with.
- The mercenary may also receive achievements and emblems for Clan Battles, based on the current league of the Clan they went into battle with.
- However, the mercenary will not receive the associated economic bonuses of the Clan they fought for.
- A mercenary from a different Clan will be able to enter battle during the Prime Time of the inviting Clan. The selected Prime Time of the Clan that the mercenary belongs to will not change.
During the “Northern Waters” Season of Clan Battles, only one mercenary can be invited to a Division.
- We’ve added a victory bonus of 200 Research Points for Tier V ships.
- The following achievements have been added: Junior Shipbuilder, Senior Shipbuilder, Shipbuilding Inspector, and Chief Shipbuilding Inspector. The achievements will be issued for 10/50/100/150 ship branches that you have reset.
- Only ship branches that you reset after Update 0.9.9 goes live will count towards your progress for the new achievements and the bonus for Tier V ships.
More details about the Research Bureau will appear in a dedicated article.
Changes to Game Mechanics
We’ve updated the mechanics behind the interactions between shells and main battery barbettes / turrets.
Previously, when a shell hit the main battery turret, damage was dealt only to the module itself, and the player received a “Penetration” ribbon without any actual damage having been dealt to the enemy ship. Now, hitting the main battery turret also entails a reduction in the ship’s hit points.
The change will significantly reduce the number of no-damage penetrations.
- Any damage dealt to a main battery turret also entails damage to the ship in the amount of 1/10 of the maximum damage of the shell.
- The amount of damage dealt to the main battery turret modules in case of a penetration has been reduced 3.3 times.
- The number of hit points for main battery turret modules has been reduced by half.
- Damage affecting a ship’s HP from a shell hitting any of the ship’s main battery turrets can be restored completely using the Repair Party and Specialized Repair Teams consumables.
- The barbette models have been updated.
- We’ve improved the sea rendering quality for all graphics settings. Sun glare on the water’s surface now looks more realistic; the horizon is now rendered at a higher quality; and water will now appear in a range of different shades, depending on the map. This change will improve game client performance. The changes will be most visible at low and medium graphics quality settings.
- The Spaceport has been updated to accommodate the new lighting model and enhanced HDR technology.
- We’ve changed the visual appearance of the aiming reticles for carrier squadrons, and also reworked the aircraft camera performance. This change will affect only the visual component of a squadron’s interface, making it easier to aim with all types of armament without affecting gameplay.
- Aircraft aiming reticles will no longer adjust to changes in the terrain of islands. A special indicator will notify you that your armament is about to hit terrain, and the reticle will become slightly more transparent. The new feature will also help prevent scenarios when a player is fully aimed at a target ship, but there are still terrain obstacles in the path of the payload release trajectory.
- Aircraft operating as part of a squadron will now change positions in a smoother way; the trajectory of bombers moving in on a target will change slightly, and any damage taken by the aircraft in the process will cause it to shake.
- The visibility of aircraft aiming reticles on sunlight-reflecting water has been improved.
Technical Changes and Improvements
With the release of Update 0.9.9, players will be able to play on all World of Warships servers within a single game client, without the need to install separate game instances for each region. The game server will be determined by the currently selected account in the Wargaming Game Center.
We recommend that you delete all additional game instances installed on your computer before the release of Update 0.9.9. Please note: you will still need a separate game client for Public Tests.
We’ve seen drops in game client performance and aiming reticle distortions on devices with graphics cards that don’t support DirectX 11 features. For this reason, we are discontinuing support for graphics cards that don’t meet the minimum system requirements.
- NVIDIA: all graphics cards older than the GeForce 400 series.
- AMD: all graphics cards older than the Radeon HD 5000 Series.
- Intel: all graphics cards older than Intel HD 3000.
Support for the macOS operating system will cease with the release of Update 0.10.0. We made this decision due to the low popularity of this OS among our players. Supporting macOS restrains our ability to improve the visuals of the game and its overall performance.
Content additions and changes
The following ships will become available in the Armory with the release of the Update:
- X Franklin D. Roosevelt—available in exchange for 33,000 Steel. A Midway-class aircraft carrier that can boast of having solid armor protection. The extensive HP pools of her aircraft and large squadron size allow her to carry out continuous powerful attacks, even when her aircraft, which lack the Repair consumable, fall under heavy AA enemy fire.
- IX Paolo Emilio—available in exchange for 43,000 Research Points. This destroyer was initially designed as light cruiser intended for use in reconnaissance operations of the Italian Navy. She’s fast, and equipped with good artillery that’s capable of firing SAP and HE shells, all at the cost of a long reload time. The ship’s powerful torpedo armament, coupled with access to the Emergency Engine Power and Exhaust Smoke Generator consumables, make her ideal for lightning-fast attacks at short ranges.
We’re continuing our work on enhancing the Daily Shipments: two new options will be added in Update 0.9.9. We’ll test the new mechanics as the Update goes live. To ensure that we get credible test results, some players will collect their rewards via the “old” version of Daily Shipments, while others will receive the new ones. This research will also require a random reference group, which is why certain players will unfortunately not have access to Daily Shipments during this Update.
A “Gothic” permanent camouflage for VIII Bismarck has been added to the game. Details on how to get it will follow a bit later.
VIII Mainz has been added to the Tech Tree, and will be available for 11,000 doubloons.
VIII Tirpitz has temporarily been removed from the Tech Tree. However, she will still be available via the Armory.
The following ships have been added for testing by developers, supertesters, and community contributors: IX Hizen, IX Z-44, VII Strasbourg, X Plymouth, and VI Mysore.
Check under the spoiler for more information regarding balance-related changes, content changes and additions, and other improvements.
Improvements to the combat mission interface
- We’ve re-enabled the option to jump to the Combat Missions section by clicking on the icon of a combat mission that drops from a container.
- A list of combat missions that you’ve scrolled down will now automatically scroll back up when switching between tabs.
- A combat mission hint that pops up on the post-battle results screen will now show the progress you’ve made towards the conditions of that mission in a battle.
- When navigating to the Directives tab, the currently active Directive will be selected by default.
Game Balance changes
In Update 0.9.9, we’ve made changes to the parameters of several ships based on our analysis of their combat efficiency and feedback from players. These changes were required in order to carefully adjust the balance of selected warships. Further changes may follow in future updates, should they be required.
Tier V British cruiser Hawkins
- Main battery reload time reduced from 12.6 to 12.1 s
Tier VIII U.K. aircraft carrier Implacable
Changes to HE bomb characteristics:
- Maximum damage increased from 4,700 to 4,900
- Chance to cause fire on a target increased from 27% to 28%
Tier X Soviet cruiser Petropavlovsk
- Detectability range by sea increased from 14.9 to 15.4 km. Other detectability values have been increased accordingly
Tier IX Soviet cruiser Riga
- Main battery reload time reduced from 15.0 to 14.5 s
- Detectability range by sea increased from 14.74 to 15.04 km. Other detectability values were increased accordingly
Engine Boost Modification 1 upgrade
- Bonus to the action time of the Engine Boost and Emergency Engine Power consumables reduced from +40% to +30%
Other changes and improvements
Please note: running Overwolf application may cause World of Warships client collapse. To fix the issue, update Overwolf to the latest version. If the issue still persists, please contact the Customer Service Center.
- Fixed a mistake in the description of Task 6 of Mission 4 in the “Five Epochs of the Navy” Campaign.
- Fixed a bug in the autopilot voiceovers for the following Commanders: Kaguya, Chang’e, and Hou Yi.
- The names of modules of attack aircraft now contain an HE or AP designation for their rockets.
- Reduced the frequency of a situation that caused the game client to crash during authorization.
- Reduced the frequency of a situation that caused a ship with autopilot enabled to leave her charted course.
- Fixed an issue that caused the Expert Marksman skill to provide incorrect bonuses to the traverse speed of main battery guns.
- Fixed an issue that caused the game client to crash after navigating to the Dockyard before the ship being built appeared.
- Fixed an issue that, in certain cases, made it impossible to authorize in the game after minimizing the client window and then maximizing it again.
Changes and Improvements in Update 0.9.9
- Reduced the number of situations that caused the game client to crash during authorization.
- The number of spectators in the Training Room has temporarily been increased to 40.
- Removed the “New” marker from the Port selection button in the Port for new players.
- Fixed bugs in the description of Task 6 of Mission 4 in the “Five Epochs of the Navy” Campaign.
- Fixed the incorrect position of the “Over-penetration” ribbon when scoring a hit with AA rockets.
- Fixed small errors on maps such as Northern Waters, New Dawn, Sleeping Giant, Strait, and Big Race, as well as for London Port.
- Fixed the artillery and free-look cameras for Mikoyan, and the artillery camera for Des Moines.
- Fixed the year of design in Petropavlovsk’s description.
- Replaced “HE Bombs Damage” with “Bomb Damage” in the description of the unique upgrade for Midway.
- Fixed an error that might have caused ships with autopilot enabled to stop maintaining their course.
- Fixed an error that caused the Expert Marksman skill to provide incorrect bonuses to the traverse speeds of main turrets.
- Fixed an issue that caused the game client to crash before the ship being built had appeared after navigating to the Dockyard.
- Fixed an error that caused the lighting sources to flicker when rotating the camera in the Designer’s Table Port.
- Fixed an error that caused the camera to incorrectly move to the barge in the Naval Base Port when exiting a battle before it had ended.
- Fixed an error that caused the last squadron launched prior to the destruction of the carrier to crash into the water instead of returning to base.
- Fixed an error that caused the status of unavailable combat missions to be displayed incorrectly.
- Fixed an error that caused the last viewed mission to reset on the Combat Missions screen after a battle.
- Fixed an error that caused messages sent by bots in Operations to be displayed incorrectly.
- Fixed an error in the Tech Tree that caused the Research button to be displayed instead of the Research/Purchase button when a player had enough XP and credits to research and purchase a ship.
- Fixed an error that caused an incorrect cost for module research and purchase to be displayed on the Equipment tab.
- Fixed an error that prevented the priority target for secondary battery icon from being displayed in various situations.
- Fixed an error that sometimes caused shells fired by the secondary battery to pass through ships.
- Fixed an error that made it impossible to switch the camera to the main battery turrets, torpedo launchers, and AA mounts in the ship specifications while previewing a permanent camouflage that hadn’t been purchased yet.
- Fixed an error that caused some pop-up windows in the Port to be displayed incorrectly when low graphic settings had been selected.
- Fixed an error that caused the Y slot to appear between the R and T slots when resetting consumables to their default order.
- Fixed an error that caused the line with a bonus to Free XP to be displayed incorrectly on the Credits and XP tab of the post-battle statistics screen.
- Fixed an error that prevented the colored frame of the battle result from being displayed.
A grand return to World of Tanks! From September 28 through October 12, The Last Waffenträger special event will take place.
Riding the Legend
Engineer Max von Krieger found the last remaining Waffenträger and gave it a second life. It became even more dangerous, unpredictable, and formidable. The legend returns to World of Tanks! The last Waffenträger!
The Panzerselbstfahrlafette Ic., a new German Tier IV tank destroyer is rolling to the Supertest.
This vehicle stands out for its mobility with a top speed of 54 km/h and a power-weight ratio of 15.2 h.p./t.
The thickness of the frontal armor plates is up to 50 mm.
Durability: 415 HP.
This tank destroyer comes equipped with a gun that causes 70 HP of damage, a high rate of fire and good gun handling parameters allowing you to provide some team support.
Dispersion is around 0,39 m; reload time 2.3 s and aiming time 1.5 s.
The gun traverse angles are 10 degrees on each side.
The Pz.Sfl. IC is a typical tank destroyer designed for long-range fire with a view range of 320 m.
The stats are not final.